Did you know that National Grandparents Day is this Sunday? According to grandparents-day.com, one of the goals of founder Marian McQuade was “to persuade grandchildren to tap the wisdom and heritage their grandparents could provide.”
If you are lucky enough to have a living grandmother or grandfather, find a way to honor them this Sunday. Give them a call. Share a meal with them. Even better, ask them about their lives and their memories. Since this year’s Grandparents Day is on 9/9, here are nine questions to help you “tap the wisdom”:
1. What did you love most about being a child?
2. How did you meet Grandma (or Grandpa)?
3. What have you loved most about your life together?
4. What are your fondest memories of raising a family?
5. What is one of your favorite memories of my mom (or dad) when they were growing up?
6. What do you want your grandchildren to know about you?
7. What important lessons have you learned in life that you want to pass along to me?
8. What do you think is the key to happiness?
9. What do you treasure most in life?
If you are a grandparent, why not share some of these memories with your grandchildren? It’ll certainly spark a great conversation, and you’ll get to tell your favorite stories to your grandkids.
Don’t forget to record the answers—with pen and paper, on a tape or digital recorder, or with a video camera—so that other family members can gain from the grandparents’ wisdom.
We’d love to hear how you celebrated this Grandparents Day. Write and let us know!